This Page

has been moved to new address

How Marni Helped Me Find My 'Fashion Formula'.

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Mrs Bossa Does the Do: How Marni Helped Me Find My 'Fashion Formula'.

Friday, 8 April 2011

How Marni Helped Me Find My 'Fashion Formula'.

Is it possible to have a 'fashion formula'?

Grit and Glamour recently wrote a great post on her work wardrobe formula. In some ways I realise I do have a formula for work, and it's pretty dull:

flat shoes (on feet all day) + grey/black pencil skirt + jumper = yaaaaawwwnn....



Ssh...don't tell anyone I'm living the Librarian Cliché...
I can live with this, however, and it gets me through. I got to thinking about the times I'm not at work, the times when I'm not restricted by dress codes. Am I the only one who finds her work and non-work wardrobes blending together...to the point where my conservatism definitely holds sway when I make my clothing choices?

Well no more!


After my wardrobe clear-out, I was feeling short of inspiration. Slowly stepping away from my all-black security blanket, I couldn't decide whether to 'ground' my wardrobe with a few 'staple' items (see, I know all the terms), or inject new life by taking a more daring approach. Enter Marni.

Ah, the colours, the fabrics - the socks...
Groaning my way through past Marni collections, I started to wonder: is there a sure-fire way of capturing the quirkiness that I so love about their clothes...without spending too much cash? Adding that extra element to the equation that would result in a more interesting me? 

Some of Marni's colour-clashing goes against all our instincts...and can a gal really get away with wearing knee socks 14 years after leaving school? I mean, yeah, Alison Goldfrapp did it, but she's way cooler than me. And it could be argued that it you're capable of playing the theremin with your crotch, as she is, your legwear stops being an issue:



In the end I decided that there were a few key elements to my favourite Marni looks: on the one hand unexpected colours and quirky statement necklaces and on the other, the aforementioned ribbed knee socks and 'dull' old grey tights, worn either with peg trousers or knee-length skirts. 




So in this vein, I went for both practicality and a touch of discord: I bought a couple of plain but versatile and belt-able cardigans, and went on an eBay hunt for brocade, silk, orange...and an odd vintage dress (I'm often happiest in a vintage dress - I can't deny it). I wrote about the spoils earlier in the week - want to see some in action (complete with sunglasses to hide my sore eye)?


ASOS trousers, vintage blazer, New Look silk top
Vintage shoes, grey school socks


What about the knee socks? Well, in the interest of economical shopping, I grabbed a bumper pack from the nearest school uniform shop, and I was away. And as it turns out, everything looks a little bit quirky with grey tights - I have found the 'x' missing from my equation.


Topshop jumper, Linea silk skirt, Dune shoes

Mango cardigan, vintage M+S dress, Zara belt, vintage shoes


Do you believe in a Fashion Formula? 
What tricks do you use to give your outfits an edge?

* * * * *

Like this post? Or is there another kind of post you'd like to see more of?
I'm having a re-think for Mrs Bossa Does the Do, and would like input from you, my readers.
Click the image below to take a quick survey.


Labels: , ,

24 Comments:

At 19 December 2012 at 08:57 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have been surfing online more than 3 hours lately, yet I never
found any interesting article like yours. It is pretty worth sufficient for me.
In my view, if all website owners and bloggers made good content as you probably did, the
web will likely be much more useful than ever before.
My site :: Buy Targeted Facebook Likes

 
At 22 December 2012 at 14:15 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

whoah this blog is great i really like studying your posts.
Stay up the good work! You understand, lots of individuals are searching around
for this info, you can help them greatly.
Also see my website: Combo Mixer Racks

 
At 23 December 2012 at 17:05 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great weblog right here! Also your site loads up fast!
What web host are you using? Can I get your affiliate link on
your host? I desire my website loaded up as fast as yours lol
Also visit my web site Forex Trading Demo

 
At 29 December 2012 at 23:11 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like what you guys are usually up too. This kind of clever work and reporting!
Keep up the excellent works guys I've incorporated you guys to our blogroll.
My web site - t-mobile

 
At 3 January 2013 at 22:50 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Everything is very open with a precise description of the
issues. It was truly informative. Your site is very helpful.
Many thanks for sharing!
my site - High Desert

 
At 3 January 2013 at 23:35 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow that was strange. I just wrote an very long comment
but after I clicked submit my comment didn't show up. Grrrr... well I'm not writing all that over again.
Regardless, just wanted to say wonderful blog!
Also visit my web blog : who has the best treadmills

 
At 12 January 2013 at 03:23 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have you ever considered about adding a little bit more than just your articles?
I mean, what you say is important and everything.
However just imagine if you added some great visuals or videos to give your posts more,
"pop"! Your content is excellent but with pics and videos, this site could certainly be
one of the best in its field. Superb blog!
Here is my blog post Western Australia

 
At 15 January 2013 at 13:53 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I leave a leave a response whenever I like a post on a blog
or I have something to contribute to the discussion. Usually it is caused by the sincerness displayed in the article I read.
And on this article "How Marni Helped Me Find My 'Fashion Formula'.".
I was actually moved enough to post a comment :) I do have a
couple of questions for you if you tend not to mind. Could
it be simply me or does it look like like a few of these responses look as if they are coming from brain dead folks?

:-P And, if you are writing on other sites, I would like to follow anything fresh you have to post.
Would you list the complete urls of your
public sites like your linkedin profile, Facebook
page or twitter feed?
Here is my homepage - Photography ebook

 
At 15 January 2013 at 21:47 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pretty! This has been an extremely wonderful post. Many thanks for
providing this information.
My web page : property management company

 
At 17 January 2013 at 15:11 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi there, I believe your web site might be having web browser compatibility problems.

When I take a look at your web site in Safari, it looks
fine however, when opening in IE, it has some overlapping issues.
I simply wanted to give you a quick heads up! Aside from that, fantastic site!
Also visit my homepage - The Tao of Badass

 
At 20 January 2013 at 08:09 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey there! Would you mind if I share your blog with my
myspace group? There's a lot of folks that I think would really enjoy your content. Please let me know. Cheers
My blog - Full Piece of writing

 
At 25 January 2013 at 09:02 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Excellent post. I am experiencing a few of these issues
as well..
My web page Boat seo

 
At 25 February 2013 at 18:59 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Does your website have a contact page? I'm having trouble locating it but, I'd like to shoot
you an email. I've got some recommendations for your blog you might be interested in hearing. Either way, great website and I look forward to seeing it grow over time.

Feel free to surf to my web site; wii u blog

 
At 25 February 2013 at 18:59 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Asking questions are genuinely good thing if you are not understanding something entirely, however this article offers
good understanding yet.

Feel free to visit my web-site - wii u rumors

 
At 5 March 2013 at 00:39 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

What's up, I read your blogs regularly. Your humoristic style is awesome, keep doing what you're doing!


Feel free to surf to my web page: facebook quotes

 
At 5 March 2013 at 00:39 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am no longer sure where you're getting your information, however good topic. I must spend a while learning much more or figuring out more. Thanks for excellent info I used to be in search of this information for my mission.

Also visit my page: love quotes
Also see my page: love quotes

 
At 5 March 2013 at 14:10 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Valuable info. Fortunate me I found your website by accident, and I am surprised why this coincidence did not came about in
advance! I bookmarked it.

my web site :: buy cheap gw2 gold
My site > cheap gw2 gold

 
At 1 April 2013 at 19:00 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ahaa, its good conversation regarding this article here at this weblog,
I have read all that, so at this time me also commenting here.



Also visit my weblog; silk scarf

 
At 13 April 2013 at 02:54 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's amazing for me to have a site, which is valuable in favor of my experience. thanks admin

Review my website; book promotion

 
At 30 May 2013 at 11:28 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very nice article, exactly what I wanted to find.


my web site - www.cfnmfever.net

 
At 1 June 2013 at 21:27 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

In fact no matter if someone doesn't be aware of after that its up to other visitors that they will help, so here it takes place.

Here is my webpage www.jnmassage.info

 
At 1 June 2013 at 21:30 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

What's Happening i'm new to this, I stumbled
upon this I have found It positively useful and it has helped me out loads.

I am hoping to contribute & aid different customers like its helped me.

Great job.

Stop by my web-site; voyeur video

 
At 3 June 2013 at 12:36 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness! Incredible article dude! Many thanks, However I am experiencing difficulties
with your RSS. I don't understand the reason why I am unable to subscribe to it. Is there anybody else having similar RSS problems? Anyone that knows the solution will you kindly respond? Thanks!!

my blog ... hotgirlsexcam.com

 
At 3 June 2013 at 15:21 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am in fact thankful to the owner of this site who has shared this
fantastic paragraph at here.

Check out my blog; cfnm fever porn

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home