This Page

has been moved to new address

Subtlety Not Included: a glimpse at 80s film fashions...

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Mrs Bossa Does the Do: Subtlety Not Included: a glimpse at 80s film fashions...

Tuesday, 4 January 2011

Subtlety Not Included: a glimpse at 80s film fashions...

It's natural at this time of year to make resolutions, and to look back over the previous year. To be honest, though - and despite the many lovely folks I've met in the blogging world - I'm glad that 2010 is over. I have no real desire to glance back wistfully over such a tough year. No, if nostalgia is the game, then I'm playing it properly...

I have a ridiculous collection of naff-yet-brilliant 80s films, and they are an endless source of comfort and amusement to me. What heart can't be warmed by the sentiment and swingy soundtrack of Batteries Not Included? Hands up those who wanted to be part of the Breakfast Club! And who fantasised about running off with the Goblin King of Labyrinth (I hope it wasn't just me...)? Of course, our favourite childhood films don't always hold up to the scrutiny of our adult selves, and it's a bonus if you find something else to appreciate about them in later life (watching Tom Selleck discover his paternal side in Three Men and a Baby tugs on the heartstrings of broody ol' me). Rewatching many of my old faves over the holidays, I decided I had to share some of the fashions with you - forgive the screen-grab quality. Amazingly, there isn't a legwarmer in sight... 

First up - the film that started it all...Uncle Buck. I couldn't keep this frankly astounding outfit from you...



Not enough people team their champagne satin blouses with mock-croc skirt/waistcoat combos, in my opinion. What's that you said? "Please can we have a close up of that headband, Mrs B?" Go on then...

Phew - glad she added the fur coat. It was missing something...

The 80s' fascination with hair continued unabated in my viewing marathon, varying from the subtle, as demonstrated by a younger SJP's purple streak in Flight of the Navigator...





...to this bizarre offering from Pretty in Pink:


In case you're wondering: yes, her hair IS long at the back.

In Overboard, Goldie Hawn managed to combine a scary 'do with terrifying epaulettes:

I'm a benevolent woman, so will spare you images of the infamous thong swimsuit.

But it wasn't all about the hair, oh no. Silly hats also got a look-in (thanks, Kim Basinger):


My Stepmother is an Alien

And have you seen Troop Beverly Hills? If not, you really must - Shelley Long is wonderful as the fashion-obsessed but kind-hearted Wilderness Girls group leader (incidentally, the girl who played her daughter grew up to be Jenny Lewis of Watson Twins fame. Album highly recommended):

Only the tip of the iceberg - get thee on Amazon, forthwith!

Daryl Hannah did better than most, managing to look lovely in Roxanne despite all the sleeveless denim jackets and lumberjack shirts in other scenes...


It wouldn't be an 80s film fest without a bit of Molly Ringwald, so I'll stick this in just so you can reiterate your cries of, "Molly, what did you do with that dress?!"

Pretty in Pink
Finally, a few inevitable shots of Mannequin - just because I love Kim Cattrall, and think we're missing a bit of luxuriousness:

And you've still got it, Kim.

Which era of films do you like to look back on? 
And which have the most outrageous fashions?!



Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home